Republican U.S. presidential challenger Mitt Romney plans to make public his 2011 tax return by October 15, a senior campaign adviser said on Sunday, as President Barack Obama’s re-election team pressed its criticism of Romney’s decision not to disclose more about his personal taxes. Romney, a former private equity executive who is one of the richest men ever to run for president, has come under pressure for months from the Obama campaign to release more years of tax returns.
Interesting move by Romney to release one tax return on Oct 15. That’ll give the American people almost three whole weeks to look it over. Thank you, Mitt.
“Mitt Romney said he will not release any more tax returns. He said that he guarantees that he paid at least 13 percent every year. 13 percent? That’s not a tax, that’s a tip. In fact, it’s even a crappy tip.” –Jay Leno
- Afghan Policeman Kills U.S. Service Member on Joint Patrol
- Intense fighting rages in Syria’s southern city
- UN monitors pull out of Syria
- Japan activists land, raise flags on disputed isle
- Assange speaks from Ecuador embassy balcony, slams U.S. ‘witch hunt’
- Russian police searching for 2 more Pussy Riot members
- Texas mall shooting results in one dead, two injured
Tongue Tightening in Guantanamo
CIA agents have written books about it. Former President George W. Bush has explained why he thought it was necessary and legal. Yet the al Qaeda suspects who were subjected to so-called harsh interrogation techniques, and the lawyers charged with defending them at the Guantanamo Bay military tribunals, are not allowed to talk about the treatment they consider torture
“In a new interview with Fortune magazine, Mitt Romney says he wants to cut funding for PBS. When he heard that, Oscar the Grouch was like, ‘Seriously? I already live in a garbage can — how much worse can my life get?’” –Jimmy Fallon
Support our Troops and Their Kids? Nope.
Amid all the hand-wringing in the U.S. Congress over January 2 spending cuts that would wallop military and domestic programs, children of American soldiers already are feeling the pinch of a budget mess.
- GOP congressman scolded after drinking and nudity in Israel
- Maureen Dowd: Is Paul Ryan merely a younger Dick Cheney?
- Romney takes a break from campaign, attends church
- Romney TV ad repeats disputed welfare claim against Obama
- Garrett: Akin’s abortion comments make Romney campaign “nervous”
- Grover Norquist: George H.W. Bush ‘Lied’ to the American People
- GOP Senate candidate says he ‘misspoke’ with ‘legitimate rape’ comment
Trying to Raid Social Security
Democrats are eagerly renewing their fight against privatizing Social Security now that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has picked Paul Ryan as his running mate. It was a fight that didn’t go well for the GOP when President George W. Bush pushed the idea in 2005.
GOP Senate candidate Todd Akin believes that a Virgin can give birth, but a rape victim can’t. Proving, once again, that facts have a notorious liberal bias.- Mrs. Betty Bowers, America’s Best Christian
- Obama says George Clooney friendship born in Sudan, not Hollywood
- Democrats target Paul Ryan on women’s issues
- Puerto Rico votes on plan to amend constitution
- Battle far from over for immigrants who get deferrals
“President Obama is still reminding people that he inherited this economy. Let me tell you something. If this economy doesn’t turn around soon, his inheritance could be cut off in November.” –Jay Leno
Oh Yeah, Let’s Return To Another Republican Presidency
Attention Baby Boomers
The government is recommending all baby boomers get tested for hepatitis C.
Anyone born from 1945 to 1965 should get a one-time blood test to see if they have the liver-destroying virus.
- Oil stays above $96 on firm US consumer confidence
- Reinvent Tax Code: Ex-Treasury Secretary O’Neill
- Facebook Investors Brace for More Shares Coming to Market
- Workers at South African mine trickle back to work after 44 killed
- The Tonight Show cuts staff; Leno trims pay
- Fare of the Day: Seattle, WA to Mumbai, India $981 RT, incl. tax
This Just In From Taliban, Oklahoma
An Oklahoma high school valedictorian who used the word “hell” in her graduation speech in May has yet to receive her diploma.
A new study found that vegetarian cavemen died earlier than cavemen who ate meat. Not from starvation — they were just murdered after they kept talking about why they became vegetarians. – Jimmy Fallon
Legal Defense and Food Fundraiser
My court date was cancelled. I have no idea why. My criminal lawyer from San Jose came to see me on Friday and advised me on my case. So everything is up in the air for now. Sigh.
Offline donation: Lisa Casey ~ PO Box 88 ~ Ashford, AL 36312
Email me @ email@example.com
- Pew! Pew! Pew! NASA rover zaps Mars rock with laser
- Mass. man gets ‘wrong’ lottery ticket, wins $1M
- Swimmer Nyad steady in Cuba-Fla. record attempt
- Fla. woman suing Casey Anthony is arrested
- Judge: Florida Teacher Who Soaked Autistic Kid’s Crayons in Hot Sauce Should Get Job Back
- Tourist town threatening to sue weather service over bad forecasts
Time To Deflate Photo
USS Constitution sails again
The 215-year-old USS Constitution has sailed for the first time since 1997, taking a 17-minute cruise across Boston Harbor. The short trip on Sunday, August 19, was to commemorate the Navy ship’s victory over a British warship during the War of 1812. Following the battle, the Constitution was nicknamed “Old Ironsides.” Photo/Steven Senne