The shine came off this newly-minted campaign of “big ideas” today, as the usual political sparring between the Obama and Romney campaigns devolved into a fit of name calling and ginned-up outrage.
“In college Paul Ryan drove the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile. So he and Romney have something in common. Both have the experience of driving a car with a dog on the roof.” –David Letterman
- Syrian air raid kills 30 in rebel-held town: activists
- Bomb strikes Damascus near U.N. and army sites, 3 wounded
- Possible war with Iran could be month-long affair: Israel minister
- Saudi Arabia tells citizens to leave Lebanon immediately: SPA
- China demands Japan release activists over island protest
- Gunman shoots guard at conservative group’s D.C. office
- West Nile virus kills 17 in Texas, sickens hundreds
Right Wingers Scold Obama for Killing Osama
A group of former U.S. intelligence and Special Forces operatives is set to launch a media campaign, including TV ads, that scolds President Barack Obama for taking credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden and argues that high-level leaks are endangering American lives.
“His eyes are just so blue. It’s like looking into a Smurf’s anus.” –Jon Stewart on Paul Ryan
- The other Paul Ryan plan: $800B in Medicaid cuts
- Romney: Obama is ‘running just to hang on to power’
- Veteran Fla. Congressman Stearns loses GOP primary
- Mississippi fattest state in the land, according to new statistical analysis
- Approval of Congress falls to all-time low
Speaking of Paul Ryan, a new poll actually found that 42 percent of Americans do not approve of Mitt Romney’s running mate, which isn’t too bad considering most Americans don’t approve of Paul Ryan’s running mate.- Jimmy Fallon
How To Axe Obamacare
Sandra Pico is poor, but not poor enough.
She makes about $15,000 a year, supporting her daughter and unemployed husband. She thought she’d be able to get health insurance after the Supreme Court upheld President Barack Obama’s health care law.
Then she heard that her own governor won’t agree to the federal plan to extend Medicaid coverage to people like her in two years. So she expects to remain uninsured, struggling to pay for her blood pressure medicine.
“Usain Bolt won the gold for the men’s 100- and 200-meter dashes for the second Olympics in a row. You know, he has been running since he was in elementary school — kind of like Mitt Romney.” –Jay Leno
A government survey has found that for the first time, 12 states have what they described as very high obesity rates. The survey was conducted by telephone. It just as easily could have been conducted by mirror. – Jimmy Kimmel
- Obama jabs at Romney over dog-on-car-roof incident
- Obamas tap White House home beer
- Young immigrants can avoid deportation under new program
- Erskine Bowles praises Paul Ryan, budget plan (VIDEO)
- Study finds Americans fatter in the South
Ass Shoots Self In Ass
Police say a man accidentally shot himself in the buttocks at a Nevada movie theatre during a showing of “The Bourne Legacy.”
“Romney and Ryan kind of look like a father and son in an ad for Super Cuts.” –Jimmy Kimmel
- Oil slips to near $93 on rising US crude supplies
- Top farm lender worried by drought, politics
- Australian court OKs logo ban on cigarette packs
- Retailers to launch mobile app for payments
- Report: Obama’s campaign more wired than Romney’s
“It was a great Olympics – Team USA finished the games with 17 more medals than China. China said it was tough to swallow – especially when they had to make all of our “We’re #1” T-shirts.” –Jimmy Fallon
Bill Gates To Invent New Toilet
Bill Gates, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist, wants to talk poop. Literally. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which is hosting a “Reinvent the Toilet Fair” on August 14 and 15, is on a mission to build a better crapper. Why? Poop is a worldwide problem.
Legal Defense and Food Fundraiser
6 days until court
Offline donation: Lisa Casey ~ PO Box 88 ~ Ashford, AL 36312
Please email 24/7 me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ex-worker sues Disney; says forbids Muslim head scarf
- Woman thought bound child in Walmart lot abducted
- Pigs and squatters threaten Peru’s Nazca lines
- South Africa goes big on birth control for elephants
- Sailor claims to have photo of Loch Ness Monster
- Charles Darwin’s notes on marriage discovered
- In 1995, class of 5th graders predicted Internet’s future (VIDEO)
Time To Deflate Photo
For their 24th annual photo contest, National Geographic Traveler magazine received more than 12,000 entries from 6,615 talented photographers in 152 countries around the globe.Taken in locations ranging from Afghanistan to Vietnam, the winning pictures show everything from peaceful landscapes to unexpected moments.
Merit Winner: Taken at Cloud Break at an outer reef in Fiji, a surfer duck dives his board to clear the rolling waves of the raw ocean. Photo and caption by Lucia Griggi/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest