Has Bush ever visited a country where protestors didn't show up?
"The Ukraine has now declared a winner in their presidential election, but the European Union says it is not legitimate. The giveaway was when the winner, Viktor Yushchenko, thanked his brother Jeb Yushchenko." -- Jay Leno
210 suspected militants arrested in Iraq Fresno Bee, CA
U.S. Plans New Afghan Operation Military.com
NAACP president leaving post after nine years Chicago Sun Times
Disenchanted Tavis Smiley is leaving NPR after three years Houston Chronicle
“If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?” -- Abraham Lincoln
Bush, Canada, Gitmo
"I thought I should try to look a little sharper before my IRS audit." -- Documentary film maker and President Bush critic Michael Moore to Tonight Show host Jay Leno, explaining why Moore appeared on the show in a suit and tie instead of his usual unkempt look.
Ridge to quit as top terror fighter San Francisco Chronicle
Report: DeLay took prison firm's gift to his charity Team 4 News, Texas
New Twist in Plame Game: When Did Novak Column Move on the Wires? Editor & Publisher
Republicans Block Attempt At Death Penalty Study NBC4 Columbus.com, OH
Republicans push for slots and docs Business Gazette, MD
NY Lawyer Guilty In Frankel Scam New York Post
Make your own grilled cheese sandwich
Sworn Statements by Abu Ghraib Detainees -- English translations of previously secret sworn statements by detainees at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. From the Washington Post.
Voters to challenge U.S. election Guardian, UK
More on the 'Stolen Election' The Nation
Activists crash tribute to LePore Sun-Sentinel.com
LA: Still Two House Races Undecided Political State Report
Election Day May Be Eliminated In Florida Local6.com, FL
"My hero, I'm going to get your name tattooed on my chest!" -- Republican campaign adviser Mary Matalin, who cornered hawkish scribe Christopher Hitchens and praised him effusively for supporting President Bush's reelection.
Congress passes bills to help veterans
Seattle Post Intelligencer
Brokaw signs off, taking his view of America with him Newark Star Ledger
Beijing Dumps Microsoft Deal TechWeb
"[Since 9/11] I am often asked if I still think we should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. The answer is: Now more than ever!" — Ann Coulter
Red Cross finds cruel treatment at Guantánamo Seattle Times
Pvt. England Prepares for Court-Martial The Ledger, Fla.
U.S. secretary of homeland security announces resignation
International Herald Tribune, France
"Here's a late-breaking bulletin from the Bush White House: The White House Christmas tree has submitted its resignation." -- David Letterman
“Another disturbing observation about America's dumbing down -- just take a look at the compostition of Congress and the White House. I'm not being snide here. Really. The Fall of Rome coincided among other things with the thinning of the blood line of the Caesars. Moreover, as the position of Emperor became less viable, less viable men became Emperor. The position and the men became a joke. And that once august body, the Roman Senate, devolved into a circus sideshow populated by the drunken sons of privilege with no experience and little intelligence and no education. But they all had breeding and they all had Ideology and then Theology.” -- Bob Witkowski, AtWitsEnd.org Current Commentary
Cheney To Stump For Tauzin, Boustany On Wednesday New Orleans Channel.com
Beneath The Burka
"All people are born alike -- except Republicans and Democrats." -- Groucho Marx
Things to do before the inauguration
1. Get that abortion you've always wanted.
2. Drink a nice clean glass of water.
3. Cash your social security check.
4. See a doctor of your own choosing.
5. Spend quality time with your draft age
6. Visit Iran, or any foreign country for that
7. Get that gas mask you've been putting off
8. Hoard gasoline.
10. Borrow books from library before they're
banned - Constitutional
law books, Catcher in the Rye, Harry Potter,
Tropic of Cancer, etc.
11. If you have an idea for an art piece
involving a crucifix -- do
12. Come out -- then go back in -- HURRY!
13. Jam in all the Alzheimer's stem cell research
14. Stay out late before the curfews start.
16. Go see Bruce Springsteen before he has his
17. Go see Mount Rushmore before the Reagan
18. Use the phrase "you can't do that -- this
19. If you're white, marry a black person; if
you're black, marry
a white person.
21. Take a walk in Yosemite, without being hit by
a snowmobile or a
22. Enroll your kid in an accelerated art or
23. Start your school day without a prayer.
24. Pass on the secrets of evolution to future
26. Learn French.
28. Attend a commitment ceremony with your gay
29. Take a factory tour anywhere in the US.
30. Try to take photographs of animals on the
endangered species list.
31. Visit Florida before the polar ice caps melt.
32. Visit Nevada before it becomes radioactive.
33. Visit Alaska before "The Big Spill".
34. Visit Vermont while it is still a State (Did you know that there's a
movement in Vermont to secede from the U.S.? Ben and Jerry's could become a
major U.S. import!)
Military recruiters banned Boston Globe
The bust of a statue archeologists identify as Roman Emperor Philip the Arab, who ruled from 224 to 249 AD, is seen on a beach on the Mediterranean island of Corsica. Archeologists announced Nov. 19, 2004, that a 2-meter statue of a feminine silhouette and statue fragments of the Roman emperor were discovered Oct. 23 in a third century shipwreck off Porticcio in southern Corsica.